Procedures are performed on an outpatient basis and are completely painless. A local anaesthesia is used. The procedure takes only several minutes, while operation of the laser lasts tens of seconds. The laser is controlled by a special computer program, customised for each patient. The effects of the procedure (after full stabilisation of visual acuity) are permanent and do not affect the possibility of occurrence of other eye disorders.
MAVIT MC standards also stipulate that the laser vision correction procedure is performed by the same physician, who qualifies. As a result, during the procedure the patient hears a voice of the physician he knows, who informs online about all stages of the procedure. During the procedure, a good cooperation between the patient and the operating team is very important – since it may affect the result of the operation. During the procedure, the patient must execute the physician’s recommendations and track fixation green light of the laser all the time.The physician has full control over the laser. During the procedure of laser vision correction at MAVIT MC there is always present a medical equipment engineer, who supervises the proper operation of lasers. After the procedure used there are administered medications in the form of drops, and the eyes are protected by sunglasses.
Prior to the procedure
- Do not wear soft contact lenses for 2–3 weeks prior to the procedure.
- Do not wear hard contact lenses for 4 weeks prior to the procedure. Long-worn contact lenses (especially hard ones) may temporarily vary the shape of the cornea. Break in wearing contact lenses allows the cornea to return to its natural shape. The laser has to operate on natural shape of the cornea, unaltered by contact lenses.
- Do not use scented cosmetics (deodorants, perfumes, creams) for 24 hours prior to the procedure. You should thoroughly remove make-up.
- Inform the employer of absence related to the planned procedure.
- Postpone the term of the procedure in case of illness, herpes or menstruation.
- During the 3 months before and after the procedure you should not withdraw previously used oral contraceptives.
Non-compliance with these recommendations may affect the procedure result worse than desired.
On the day of the procedure
- Bring sunglasses with UV protection.
- Do not drink alcohol, coffee or other drinks with caffeine.
- Do not apply make-up. The detailed make-up removal should be performed already on the day before the procedure.
- You should wash precisely your head, face and eyes.
- You should wear comfortable clothing.
- You should plan a safe return home.
- You should come to MAVIT MC 30 minutes before the procedure.
Stages of the procedure
- Staff will take the patient to the operative room, in which there are lasers.
- The patient will be asked to lie down on the operating table, face upwards.
- Skin surrounding the operated eye will be cleansed with a disinfectant, and then analgesics in the form of eye drops will be administered.
- Face will be protected with sterile film.
- Lid speculum will be put on the eye to prevent blinking during the procedure.
- Arm of the laser will set directly above the eye.
After of the procedure
Staff will take the patient to the post-operative room, in which he will remain for 1–3 hours (depending of the procedure performed). During this time he may feel a burning sensation, tearing, as well as foreign body sensation in the eye. AThen the physician will examine the eyes. If he finds no contraindications, the patient can leave the facility, given precise instructions how to proceed.
The next day the patient reports again to the facility for a check. His eyes will be examined and further examinations will be scheduled to evaluate the healing process and vision improvement.
You should rest as much as possible. For some time you may feel discomfort: increased sensitivity to light, tearing, itching, foreign body and sand sensation under the eyelids. Such symptoms are related to the healing of the eye after the procedure. In the initial phase of healing the vision will be blurred. Visual acuity will be gradually improving. A noticeable discomfort can be overcome by taking an analgesic tablet.
- You should take only the eye drops prescribed by the physician.
- You should wear sunglasses with UV protection as often as possible.
- During bathing or showering you should try to keep your eyes closed.
- Do not allow water, soap or shampoo get into the eye.
- You should avoid being in dusty places.
- You should avoid cigarette smoking – smoke may irritate the eye.
- You should forgo sunbathing for a period of 1 month – the sun and solarium excessively dry out the cornea and expose the eye to additional radiation.
- You should forgo swimming for 1 month, mainly due to the possibility of eye infection.
- It is wise not to plan a trip to the so-called warm countries for about 1 month after the procedure.
- In the early post-operative period you should not encumber vision, you should avoid working on the computer and watching TV.
The stabilisation of vision can last about 1–3 months.