Fast, safe and reversible method of correction of myopia, hyperopia or astigmatism.
Correcting vision errors using phakic lens
The dynamic development of refractive procedures in the direction of intraocular techniques contributed to an extension of indications with cases of high vision impairments in order to liberate the patient of the burdensome correction with eye glasses or contact lenses, and thereby to improve the quality of life.
Implantation of phakic lens
Implantation of phakic lens, or an intraocular lens correcting vision impairment, is a solution addressed primarily to patients with high myopia, hyperopia, astigmatism.
This innovative technique involves the implantation, through a small incision, of a thin artificial lens into the posterior chamber of the eye into the space between the iris and the natural lens (without removing the natural lens). The procedure takes several minutes and is performed on an outpatient basis under a local anaesthesia with full consciousness of the patient.
Visual convalescence period is individual. In most cases, a noticeable improvement in vision is observed just after the procedure.
Implantation of phakic lens (unlike other methods, including laser methods) is a reversible procedure, because the lens can always be removed!
You may be a candidate for a surgical correction of vision impairment if:
- you are at least 21 years old
- you have a stable vision impairment for at least one year
- you have myopia (the range from -0,5D to -18,0D), hyperopia (the range from +0,5D to +10,0D) or astigmatism (the range to 6,0D).
However, we will make a final decision on performance of the procedure only after performing a detailed comprehensive examination of your eyes.
Preliminary examinations include
- medical history (inter alia stability of impairment, age)
- examination of refraction without and with correction (eye glasses, contact lenses)
- examination of the anterior segment of the eye
- examination of the anterior chamber depth
- measurement of the diameter of the pupil
- examination of the fundus of the eye after dilating the pupils
- corneal topography
- evaluation of endothelial cells.
In whom we cannot perform a surgical correction?
You cannot be a candidate if:
- you are less than 21 years old
- your vision impairment still changes (we advise you to wait until the impairment is stabilised)
- you suffer from infectious diseases of the eye
- you have cataract, glaucoma, retinal
detachment, keratoconus, congenital or acquired degenerative diseases of the
Contraindications include also:
- connective tissue diseases (the so-called collagenoses) – e.g. rheumatoid arthritis
- scleroderma, lupus, polyarteritis nodosa, psoriasis, Sjögren’s syndrome
- autoimmune diseases
- diseases with immunosuppression in the course
- active infectious diseases
Phakic lens does not correct presbyopia associated with the physiological loss of accommodative ability of the eye caused by the gradual hardening and decreased flexibility of the natural lens. Accordingly, in the case of persons over 45 years of age, indications for implantation of phakic lens is considered individually, taking into account possible option for the implantation of multifocal lens after the removal of the natural lens.
Phakic lens VISIAN ICL
This lens is designed to correct:
- myopia in the power range from -0,5D to -18D*
- hyperopia in the power range from +0,5D to +10,0D*
- astigmatism in the power range to +0,5D to +10,0D*
*Defects greater than those given are not an absolute contraindication to the implantation of the phakic lens. The final decision is made by the doctor at the qualification.
The site where it is placed – behind the iris – results in the best protection of endothelial cells among all available phakic lenses.